Project full title: From Bilbao to Oslo, intermodal mobility solutions and interfaces for people and goods, supported by an innovative communication network
European Union Horizon 2020 programme
H2020-EU.3.4. – SOCIETAL CHALLENGES – Smart, Green And Integrated Transport
Grant agreement no.: 635867
Duration: 36 months
Starting Date: May 2015
Expected Ending: April 2018
Coordinator: CNIT – Consorzio Nazionale Interuniversitario per le Telecomunicazioni (IT)
Consortium: ATOS SPAIN SA (Spain), TRANSPORTES AZKAR S.A. (Spain), COMMISSARIAT A L ENERGIE ATOMIQUE ET AUX ENERGIES ALTERNATIVES (France), AYUNTAMIENTO DE BILBAO (Spain), ASOCIACION CLUSTER DE MOVILIDAD Y LOGISTICA DE EUSKADI (Spain), CONSORZIO PER LA RICERCA NELL’ AUTOMATICA E NELLE TELECOMUNICAZIONI C.R.A.T. (Italy), FLUIDTIME DATA SERVICES GMBH (Austria), STATENS VEGVESEN VEGDIREKTORATET (Norway), STIFTELSEN SINTEF (Norway), TRENITALIA SPA (Italy)
CRAT Key Persons
CRAT scientific co-coordinators: Prof. Francesco Delli Priscoli, Dr. Vincenzo Suraci, Dr. Antonio Pietrabissa
Project Description: The target of the BONVOYAGE project is the design, development and test of a service platform optimizing multimodal door-to-door transport of passengers and goods, endowed with several challenging and innovative features, namely Interoperation, Multi-objective optimization, Personalization, Tariff Schemes and “Internames” Communication System. The platform integrates travel information, planning and, up to a certain extent, ticketing services, by automatically analysing non-real-time data from heterogeneous databases (on-road, railway and urban transport systems); real-time measured data (traffic, weather forecasts); user profiles; user feedback.
The project aims at designing, developing and testing a platform integrating multimodal travel information, planning and ticketing services and optimizing the multimodal door-to-door transportation problem of passengers and goods. The Work Breakdown Structure, with its WorkPackages, is shown in the following figure.
The planned duration of the project is 36 months. The above-mentioned Work Breakdown Structure is based on a rather classic but proven approach of having an initial requirements and abstractions work package (WP2), going on to component designs (WP3, WP4, WP5 and WP6), followed by integration and validation (WP7). Performance considerations are taking into account from the beginning of the design phase, while the overall system design is put at test and exploited in relevant use cases (WP7). The Management (WP1) and the Communication, Dissemination, Standardization and Exploitation (WP8) work packages complete the plan.
A short description of each work package is reported hereafter.
• WP1: Project Management – this WP will coordinate partner efforts and manage the entire project, at financial, administrative, contractual and technical level.
• WP2: System requirements and design – this WP will collect and analyse the system requirements and, on the basis of such analysis, design the system architecture and the detailed interfaces among the BONVOYAGE components.
• WP3: Internames communication system – this WP will design and develop the Internames Communication System, to enable: (i) seamless connectivity across different existing network realms; (ii) native support to mobility and security issues; (iii) travel-centric primitives for push/pull based and mobile participatory sensing services; (iv) high efficiency in communication and processing operations; (v) graceful deployability and interoperability with existing systems. With respect to the current Internet Protocol, with limited support to mobility, security, and content dissemination services, the rationale of Internames is to identify all system entities by names so as to enable effective location-independent connectivity services able to fulfil targets (i)-(v).
• WP4: Intelligent Transport Functionality – this key WP is responsible for the design and development of an User Profiler Tool, a Multi-Objective Optimization Tool and a Tariff Scheme Design Tool. Proper advanced optimization algorithms will be developed, which, by using as inputs the Context stored in the Multi-Modal Mobility Database, produce, as output, a set of Personalized Control decisions, which are the actual added-value of the project. Software implementation of the designed components is also included in this work package.
• WP5: Adaptation Functionality – this WP will design and develop the functionalities necessary to adapt the technology-independent Intelligent Transport Functionality to the specific Transport Operators. First, this WP is responsible for designing and implementing the Multi-Modal mobility Database, which will store the Context and all other information relevant to the functions of WP4. The interface between WP4 and the database is provided by the Database Services, which also provide the interface for the Metadata Handling Tool. Such tool is in charge of producing the Dynamic Present Context. This WP is responsible also for the Service Adaptation which, on the basis of the Personalized Control decisions (output of the Intelligent Transport Functionalities), elaborates one or more Personalized Services tailored to the specific Transport Operators. Software implementation of the designed components is also included in this work package.
• WP6: Multimodal integrated interfaces and Apps – this WP aims at designing and developing all the mechanisms needed to seamlessly interacting with the heterogeneous external actors of the BONVOYAGE platform. These interfaces will be dedicated to gather data and information from end users, mobile participatory sensing services, and transport operators and actuate the Personalized Control decisions in the specific technology-dependent external platform. Software implementation of the designed components is also included in this work package.
• WP7: System integration and validation – this WP will integrate the software components developed in WP3, WP4, WP5 and WP6 and perform functional unit and integration tests. Moreover, this WP will be responsible to define and execute the validation of the BONVOYAGE concept. Validation will involve the transport operators belonging to the consortium. Evaluation of results is also included in this WP.
• WP8: Communication, Dissemination, Standardization and Exploitation – this WP will be responsible for the diffusion of project results among interested end-user communities and general public. This will foster EU-wide consolidation and deployment of high-quality integrated multimodal travel information, planning and ticketing services. Moreover, this WP will address possible ways of exploiting the project.